My shoes; literally, those are my feet. Sexy huh?
So some of you may remember this post from July.Well, time for an update.
It's been over 2 months since I've worn your "common shoe".
I've worn only the above shoes, flip flops, and some really sweet Columbia strap on sandals I found in my closet. They look something like this
http://www.zappos.com/images/736/7365073/6900-515017-d.jpg
So...why would I ever stop wearing shoes?
Well, I believe it's better for me.
But you need heel support
I thought so at first to, in fact that was my main concern.
What did I conclude?...
That millions of year's of evolution beats Nikey's research team.
But what about protecting your feet?
Well, let's clarify something first, I actually run barefoot a few days a week. That is, I jog, without any type of shoe, on grass, or a sidewalk. I have yet to have any type of injury, and so far my feet/legs have only benefited.
Other days of the week (and other types of exercise) I wear my black Vibram Five Finger shoes, cheap flip flops, and sweet strap on sandals.
And guess what? I've been in a gym, and a bar or club, nearly every single day for over a year now, including the past 2+ months without classic shoes.
Dude your in a gym without shoes?
Yep. I'm careful, but more importantly, I realized that the only weights that could do any real damage are so heavy they make shoes irrelevant for protecting your toes. (not to mention I've been weight training for 6+ years now, never once have I had a weight dropped on my foot, ever)
Anyways...I did a little research and ultimately concluded that not wearing shoes for a few months was at least worth a shot, and story =).
If you want to know more about bare foot running (including news about barefoot marathon runners) check out http://runningbarefoot.org/.
I'm also going to get more in depth with this....interesting?...topic in my next book (soon to be announced).
Try new things every day
-Dream
