In my post about Absurd Nutritional Myths, I dove into a few topics. I want to briefly expand on a couple of them today by offering a few questions that should spark curiosity.
I'm going to write an Absurd Exercise Myths post soon enough, but exercise as a means to burn calories and fat is also a myth that is heavily intertwined with the notion of dietary fat making you fat and unhealthy.
So the high fat food for thought today is...
- if "fat makes you fat"
- "saturated fat causes heart disease along with dietary cholesterol"
- "exercise makes you lean by burning calories"
- "cardio" improves heart health
- dietary intake of saturated fat/cholesterol have significantly DROPPED
- we are exercising in packed gyms/fitness clubs more than ever
- overall fat intake has dropped (save polyunsaturated)
It's like telling someone on fire to pour gasoline on themselves only to become confused and surprised when the fuel ignites-except in exercise and nutrition the "solution" is not so evidently WRONG since it takes time to affect the burning man/woman.
Going even further, opinions are like assholes-everybody has one. And facing your own wrong opinion is not something everyone is willing to do. Even if they know it's wrong, people still tend to cling on to the self image created by those opinions- I've been guilty of this myself countless times.
-Dream