For over 1.5 years I have worked out religiously, every day.
Well, I missed 4-5 days due to weather/location/sickness and what not, but essentially I've worked out, in some way, every day, for over a year and a half.
Pretty crazy huh?
Most people think so.
To be honest though, after I got through The Dip, it wasn't that hard anymore. Working out became a daily habit, just like waking up and going to sleep.
But, things have changed. As recommended by a fellow trainer and personal friend, I finished reading a book called Body by Science, that advocates working out once per week.
Quite the opposite of every day for 1.5 years, wouldn't you say?
But, extremes like this appeal to me. And this book made a LOT of sense to me, so, I'm going for it.
Why exactly?
Well, I've had results. Really, work out every day and try NOT to have some type of result.
BUT, I've felt stuck for months now.
I've continually felt like my body wasn't at it's potential. I thought running half marathons and excess cardio would give me the cut I was looking for...but it didn't.
I thought this workout routine would help push my strength to the next level...it didn't.
*I will say though that adding deadlifts to my workout routine did add some upper back muscle*
I even drastically changed my diet in October (the diet you will see reflected in Dream Vitality). While this helped more than anything, it still didn't move me past the plateau I seemed forever stuck at.
So...what's my new workout schedule look like?
Well, I'm still going to teach jump rope 4 days a week at UCF. I love teaching it, and it's a ton of fun for me.
I will also do bare foot sprints once every other week, or do HIIT swimming in place of that. (HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training, basically work really hard for a short amount of time, and then take ample time to rest, rinse/repeat. This is also the new format for my 30 minute jump rope class).
And I will continue to take Yoga for an hour every Sunday.
But beyond that, 1 day a week of weight training.
No half marathons, no swimming 45+ laps in the pool, no "cardio" beyond jump rope.
Additionally, the strength training will be for a relatively short amount of time, 1 set for each of 5 different machines.
HIT (High Intensity Training) demands 1 set to failure, that is, the reps are done slow, with a moderately heavy weight.
The result?
We'll see =). I start tomorrow morning and will post progress as time goes on.
-Dream