After a year of working out every day....where I stand

May 12, 2008 3:44 PM

So I realized a few days ago that it has been a little over 1 year now that I've worked out every single day (well actually I've missed a grand total of 5 days).

Every day, other than those 5, I've worked out in some form or another. Rain or shine, feeling amazing or shitty, busy/bored/indifferent, every day.

On average I'd say about ~45 minutes of actual exercise. Some days less, some days more.

The way I exercise has constantly changed. Well, lets rephrase that...

How I exercise is constantly evolving, for better or for worse (obviously Im always trying to go for the better...lol).

What has consistently improved though is my inner psychology for working out. It is now a pretty deeply ingrained habit, I can't imagine stopping for any reason short of being physically incapable of moving my body.

Beyond that however I have a better feel for my body and my mind in relation to it.

I can sense when Im working to hard, to soft, not long enough, to long, weather or not my breathing is on par, whats safe/correct form/correct intensity...and even when Im trying to hard to be 'perfect'.

IE Am I doing 3 FAG sets of 10 reps followed up by 3 cardio machines of 10 minutes a peice?

Man what are you a robot or someone in there for the right reasons...

Yeah that was a big sp of mine for a while...fyi, perfection is the lowest standard you can have for yourself.

If you FEEL LIKE working out on a machine for 12 minutes or doing 12 reps, fucking do it. If you feel like doing 9, do it, just make sure its because of what your body is telling you and its not because your being lazy.


As for my specs, I'm 5'10, and weighed about 185 when I started working out every day last May.

Body fat was ok, somewhere around 14% if I had to guess.

At my lowest this year I was 161 and probably around 11% bf. This is when I had a vein showing on each side of my abs (ha never thought that was possible).

Currently I hang between 170-175. From what I've heard from others and what I see in the mirror, I've put on considerable size to my shoulders and legs (injured my knee in high school, didn't finally get serious about putting muscle on it till a few months ago).

My body fat is still pretty low, probably around 12%. Its pretty rare I can get the veins in my abs to show, however I now have veins in my biceps that surface without much effort. In case you havent guess, no one in my family tree is very vascular.

What's also worth mentioning is that I've been vegetarian for over 1 year now as well (no meat). I'll be Vegan for one year (save some fish every once in a while) come August as well.

No meat.

No eggs.

No dairy.

No protein shakes/powders.

No supplements or pills of any kind.

Healthy and strong as an ox.

It's amazing what a little research and application can do when combined with a lot of patience.

-Dream