Leadership, Growth, and Goodbye to an Old Friend

Aug 2, 2008 6:54 PM


Curtis and some friends on my 19th birthday at Blizzard Beach

Last year's convention was quite a doozy stress wise on me. It was my first time ever organizing ANYTHING let alone a huge multi-day event for people traveling in from all over the world.

Never the less, things worked out, and I grew tremendously from the experience.

This year, despite better preparation/organization, it was still an incredible amount of stress on me. Seriously, most 19 year olds raised in this country aren't doing this kind of shit.

Different problems arose, and I stepped up. The way things are looking (assuming more tickets are sold in the very near future) everything should turn out alright.

I got creative, and became a problem solver when the time came. In a crunch, I became resourceful.

The 2008 Under 21 Convention was both a demonstration, and test of leadership. It was undoubtedly another avenue of growth for me personally, and a means of contribution to you guys as well...

Now for those of you who attended you may remember me mentioning a friend who was battling cancer on day 2 of the convention during the Vitality presentation by Homerunking and myself.

Last night around midnight, Curtis Franklin Noll died of cancer. He went into a coma not long after the convention, and passed away last night.

My best friend, is dead.

He lived like a champ every moment of the 7+ years I had known him, including the past 2+ fighting cancer.



I can't even begin to describe how lucky I feel to have known him. He played a huge role in my life. Hell he practically handed me the first girl I kissed, and my senior homecoming/prom dates (yes this guy was awesome with women).

Not to mention the endless list of stupid shit we did together....and of course some amazing trips like Cayo Costa and the florida Keys, three separate times.

Outside of my immediate family, Curtis has had the biggest influence on my life, point blank period.

He had his shit together from a young age, and really set an example for the rest of us on how to live life to the fullest.



It is what it is. We create our own destinies, and this is the way of the world. I encourage you guys to take your health seriously, and to appreciate every moment of your life like Curtis did.

Today was the first time I cried in longer than I can remember.

Rest easy bro. Love ya forever

-Anthony

ps- I'll be dedicating the 2008 Under 21 Convention footage to him as well as my next book, Dream Vitality

Miss ya already bro...