Consistency and Shaping your LIFE

Sep 20, 2007 12:07 AM

“…That’s power, that’s action. MASSIVE action backed by knowledge, that’s true power.”- Dream at the 2007 Under 21 Convention

Yep, believe it, I quoted myself. This is one of many ideas I live my life with, not by.

Something else I didn’t get to mention at the convention though was consistency. Since the convention I have become tremendously more consistent in my life (read: congruent). Never the less though I’m talking about it now, right now.

Let’s picture our lives right now as a piece of clay (or play dough for the easily entertained ;D). Make it vivid, give it color, brightness, a sent, a certain feel, a temperature, a sound as you mold it back and forth with your hands. Be descriptive, this is your life in the palm of your hands.

Now I’m not here to talk about what makes up anyone’s life today, I’m here to chit chat about what shapes it. So in essence, not what defines you, but what makes your life, what it is on a very real level.

To me, consistency shapes your life. Not necessarily daily habits (although these are obviously very consistent items), but what you do on a consistent basis.

There are ups and downs to this concept, but in the right light the pros far outweigh the cons.

The upside to this is that you have total, complete, 100% control over your consistent habits. Yes that’s right, believe it or not you aren’t a victim of society or anything else for that matter, your life is in your hands.

The downside is a discipline issue. If you do not have control over your emotions, they will influence your logical mind, and ultimately your consistent, logically driven habits (more logical than emotional anyways).

*On the emotion versus logic topic for this post, I’m aware emotion is a powerful motivator, however what I also understand is that it’s a finite source of power. It’s like will power versus unconscious competence; in the long run the unconscious will prevail. If you try going to the gym 7 days a week for the rest of your life, and your starting this off of a 6 month couch potato streak , you are bound to fail without a logical reason to back it (a compelling future).

Now the upside, to the downside, is that small habits compound, and can eventually transform into mental strength so you really do have control over your consistent habits (the shape and figure of your life).

So what exactly outlines consistency? It’s not daily, then it must be weekly….nope….monthly? Nope.

It is what you decide it is. If you are going to donate some money every 6 months, that’s consistent. If you are going to exercise every day, that’s consistent.

If you are going to eat wild fish once a week, that’s consistent. If you are going to eat green vegetables every day, that’s also consistent. And so on and so forth…

It’s important to draw the line though between defining your life and shaping it. Remember you are more as a person than the sum of anything you can come up with, weather it be beliefs/values/morals/ideas/religion/daily habits/behaviors/past experiences etc…

Do not ever limit yourself by drawing negative boundaries like that in your mind.

So what am I suggesting?

That everyone take a moment on a consistent basis (whatever you decide), and think about what you do consistently, and then decide if you should continue or replace those behaviors.

I exercise and sweat every day of the week. I socialize every day of my life. I fill my mind with positive software every day (read: read – pun intended). I eat green vegetables and fruit every day. I eat some type of wild fish about once a week.

I take a warm honey bath (oh I can smell the flames already) at least once a week. I relax and play some type of video game at least once a week (woot woot for the Wii).

I study for school almost every day, I contact random relatives at random times (no one lives forever, please keep in touch with your extended family if you have any regardless of rapport with them), etc etc….

More importantly though, I occasionally reflect on my consistent habits. It’s not a set interval, but I never forget about it. I think about where I’m going, and how my current habits are taking me there. From there I either leave the habits alone, replace, or modify them accordingly.

It's simple really.

Does this help me, or hurt me?
Is it feasible to make this habit help me instead of hurt me? Is it feasible to improve upon my current habit? What's the reward? What's the sacrafice?

What's the pain, what's the pleasure?

This is the difference that makes a difference in this instance. Taking the time to THINK. Yes, THINK! Instead of letting society numb your mind into oblivion, you set aside the time to THINK about your life, and then take ACTION immediately.

Am I going to go out to a club/bar/mall every day the rest of my life? Ha, I doubt it. Am I going to do this for many, many months, and quite possibly years to achieve that part of mastery of the self?

Will I leave college, 21 years old with 10,000 conversations started from scratch?

Hell yes, I'm looking forward to every night of what it takes to get there. The social skills that breeds will serve me the rest of my life, in every aspect.

Ultimately though it will take me off my path to mastery of the self if I don't graduate and evolve after I reach mastery.

Will I exercise ever day possible the rest of my life? Basically, yes. Ive accepted this, and understand it. Why isn't it a daunting task though? Why don't I dread it like so many others?

I enjoy it because it helps me, it supports me in my endeavors. I look forward to the next workout when Im done enjoying that one. It's a permanent part of my life.

So in conclusion, consistency is a potent form of personal power. It is in your control, no one else’s.

You are not a victim of society, you are a victim of your own choices, positive or negative.

Let consistency shape your life, not define it.

And most importantly, take the time to reflect on your consistent habits, and do what you feel is right with them.

Your life is in the palm of your hands, pick it up and go!

;)

-Dream