Wealth History

Jun 3, 2007 1:26 PM


I started off working for a mobile car detailing company, made 10/hour cash + tips. Wasn't bad money, but it was rough work in the Florida sun. Eventually with the self employed mindset I grew up around (my father has always worked for himself), I went off on my own to detail cars. I was, The Wash man. I did this for some time but it was hard to find more than one or two cars a week. This was okay since I was in high school however I am never content with things of this nature. Eventually I landed a job at Circuit City making 7/hour, however I was able to work a lot of hours since I was on the injured list for high school football my senior year.

After some time that thirst for more floated into my head and I soon discovered I was an excellent salesman. My first day wandering around the Entertainment department I sold over 10 thousand dollars with warranty and accessories. They were quick to move me into the Entertainment department and bump my pay to 8.50/hour.

Eventually I learned through word of mouth how much better commission sales paid. When I learned just how much money Circuit City was making off me to I was determined to sell commission. I actually went to Sears which was right across the street and landed a job there, when my managers at C City found out they quickly gave me the hours I wanted and slightly bumped my pay to 8.85.

After high school leaving Circuit City was imminent, and I decided to go to Sears and work commission once in Orlando (not before walking out on Circuit City cold though, ps-never work retail sales for hourly only pay).

I left Circuit City as the top salesman, and quickly became the top in my department at Sears as well; only this time around I actually got paid for it =). My pay went from 8.85 to anywhere from 10-20 dollars per hour, usually averaging around 14/15 unless it was super busy like Christmas time.

As a tangent Ill mention a goal I achieved through Sears. I always wanted to have a 1000 dollar paycheck, but never had the opportunity at Circuit City to even approach that much money. Once I watched The Secret however I wanted to experiment with this law of attraction. I did this by marking a 1 dollar bill into a 1,000 dollar bill via sharpie and posted it on the ceiling directly over my bed with some scotch tape. I looked at it every morning and every night for a few months, and sure enough come Christmas time I hit my goal. Not only once, at 1076, but twice in a row (the next being 1140ish). I was pretty ecstatic to say the least. My next goal is to make 10,000 in a 3 month period-how will I accomplish this? I have yet to figure it out but I will with enough focus ;D.

At the moment I am studying to become a personal trainer however. Electronics sales are dwindling (to much competition) and helping others become/stay fit is something I know Ill love doing, its one of my passions. With my sales experience overlapping that I know Ill excel at this as well.

And those are basically my plans. My major in college is also Sports and Fitness so that may help in the long run as well. I also figure even if I do venture into something else having a degree in fitness will be sure to aid my highest value, health and vitality, the rest of my life. After all a good deal of people never use their college degrees anyways, just look at my dad for example. Successful home builder since day 1 out of college, and has a degree in criminology.

I’m not really into investing at the moment, although I have almost gotten pulled into some bad investments in the past. Stocks are interesting but seem to much like legalized gambling. I do have an internet savings account though which yields over 5% interest, much better than my bank. I use amboydirect, however there are others that are very similar like emigrantdirect etc…. Something to look into if your using your banks crappy 1.5% interest rate on your savings.

That’s that, I should be a personal trainer come August and Ill post how it goes.

-Dream