Have you heard about my book?
I am aware this book has been reviewed countless times, but I would still like to give my own opinion and personal perspective on it for everyone to enjoy.
I'd like to start this review off with some key points for what follows
*This is my first real book review
*This is my first completed self help book
*This book is excellent
*This is the longest book Ive ever read.
Ok so I was walking through the UCF book store one day and spotted this book, Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins. Now I was quite aware of who Tony is, I have listened to or watched most of his products, things like TOYL, Get the Edge etc... His A&E Biography is ironically one of the best products centered around him, and he didnt even make it =P. Anyways I figure what the hell and pick it up for like 20 bucks.
The book itself is a tad over 500 pages, and took quite a few months to complete (on and off reading, some days I would read 50 pages, others 4). I read it pretty consistently though, alongside other books such as The Way of the Superior Man and Think and Grow Rich. Some parts were more interesting than others. Some were a breeze, some were a drag. Some of his beleifs rubbed off on me, some didn't. Couple key concepts I picked up from him though.
*CANI-Constant and Never ending Improvement. Translates to grow everyday, if your not growing, your shrinking. Stagnation is shrinking.
*NAC- Neuro Associattive Conditiong. Translates to building nerual pathways in your brain, ie building a habbit.
*Transformational Vocabulary. Translates to using strange/silly words in place of common ones to influence situations in your favor (in a positive way I hope). Ie when your really mad at someone rather than blowing up screaming, you loudly announce "Im begining to get a bit PEEVED". =)
One thing that Anthony was dead on about also was how different you are once you've finished the book. Kind of a mind fuck at first but in my case, it was absolutley true. My quality of life has noticably improved since I began reading it, I do continue to implement things I've learned from him daily (like the 3 I listed above), I improve myself every day, and I feel more in control of my life.
For more solid evidence of the book "changing my life forever" look no further than my health. Ive gradually gone from being a full blown meat eating *American* to a borderline vegan (vegetarian to the next level). My diet will be saved for a future post however it has changed forever, and one of the biggest influences for that was Anthony . Aside from my diet I have moved health to the top of my values list (you DO have a values list, don't you?). I work out 6-7 days a week now, and I am loving it.
Even in academics my results drastically improved. I jumped my GPA a full point spring semester and got myself off probation. Grades went from CCCF to ABBB (one was a damn 89.3 to grrrr =D). Is this all due to one book? Doubt it, but it was definitely a big help.
Now all that said, its quite possible I would have done most of that anyways even without reading his book, I'm just skeptical I would have been as focused on improving that fast and that hard though. My focus was scattered about.
I feel more confident in my ability now to handle situations and problems (or action signals as he calls them haha) in my life. I have a lot to deal with at the moment but even though its a heavy load to carry, I feel stronger. Going out every night, hitting the gym every day, working, the convention, burning through my ACE book, and preparing to retake that class I failed in a few weeks seem overwhelming at first, but after a second look it seems a bit underwhelming. People have gone through way more complicated things than even all of that and a little extra.
The most important lesson I learned from Anthony Robbins in this book however is yet to be mentioned. Sure I could say its a positive outlook on life or something like that but thats beside the point. That lesson is how to take the good from the bad. I used to read everything and believe it right on the spot, both good and bad. Well throughout this book Tony sells products, sells his businesses, sells seminars, and sells reading (returning customers are what keeps the self help industry so lucrative), but hidden in there is a LOT of value. I truly believe Anthony Robbins is a good person and so on, but he's just another guy. A lot of people "hero" worship him as a guru, when he is just, another guy... In my opinion he really loves helping others, but like everyone else, he likes making money. I sure as hell don't blame him for it either.
I would pick it up asap if you haven't already. I plan on reading Unlimited Power next so expect that in the coming months.
-Dream